Accessibility statement for Sainsbury’s groceries online
This accessibility statement applies to the Sainsbury's groceries website
This website is run by Sainsbury's Supermarkets Ltd.
This statement exists so that we can tell you:
- what commonly used accessibility tools and features are supported on the Sainsbury's groceries website,
- what existing accessibility issues you can expect to find on the Sainsbury's groceries website.
- what we are doing to improve accessibility on the Sainsbury's groceries website.
What this page contains
- Using the Sainsbury's Groceries website
- Known accessibility issues
- What we're doing to improve accessibility
Using the Sainsbury's groceries website
We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website.
If you're using an assistive technology, or adjusting browser settings, you should be able to:
- change text and text background colours
- change font style and sizes
- zoom in up to 200% without losing information or having to scroll from side to side
- complete a shop using just a keyboard
- complete a shop using dictation software, such as Windows 10 Speech Recognition and MacOS VoiceControl)
- complete a shop using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver and TalkBack)
Need help adapting your computer, phone or tablet to meet your needs? Read AbilityNet's My Computer, My Way.
Known accessibility issues
We know some parts of the Sainsbury's Groceries Online website are not fully accessible. Others may be confusing for some users. These issues are below.
There are two different headers on the Sainsbury's groceries website.
The header contains the main menu, Search box, account, and basket links. These headers are very similar but do have slight differences in responses and coding that may affect screen reader and browser zoom.
The groceries drop down menu in the header is not keyboard accessible.
It can only be opened by hovering over it with a mouse. However, all of the items within the menu are searchable using the search box in the header.
The 'tab order' does not always start at the top of each page.
Customers using the tab key to navigate the page may find it doesn't start at the top of the page.
Landmarks are inconsistent and sometimes missing.
Customers using landmarks to navigate the page may find some missing.
The colour combination of white and orange is not accessible at some text sizes.
This combination is used mainly for buttons and form controls. It falls just under the WCAG 2.1 content threshold of 3.1.
What we're doing to improve accessibility
We're committed to fixing any WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility issues that stop customers from shopping using our website. We also want to improve user experiences for customers with disabilities.
To do this, we:
- include customers with disabilities in product research
- include customers with disabilities in CSAT surveys
- test products with customers with disabilities
- review new features and functionality to meet Sainsbury's Luna design system accessibility guidance. This is based on the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines WCAG 2.1
- test new products and features using assistive technologies
- use accessibility testing tools
Help us improve
We're always interested in ways in which we can continue to improve the accessibility and usability of our web and mobile services, and we welcome constructive feedback.
If you wish to report an accessibility issue with the web site or mobile app then please do not hesitate to Contact Us. If you can't call us, you can contact us below by clicking 'Need to get in touch?', then 'Other ways to get in touch' and then 'Contact Form'. We'll aim to reply to you within 3 days, but please bear in mind it may take longer to respond over a weekend or bank holidays. To help us address issues as quickly as possible, please try to include the following information when you contact us:
- Describe the problem in as much detail as possible
- Give us an example of what you were trying to do
- Provide the web address (URL) of the page or pages where the issue occurred or describe the page e.g. Search, Check out, Homepage
- Provide information about the device, browser, operating system and any assistive technology that you are using, along with information about any computer or browser settings that you may have customised.
- Your contact details so that we can get in touch if we need to ask further questions in order to investigate and resolve the problem.
Did this answer your question?
Still have questions?
0800 636 262
Monday to Saturday 8am - 8pm and Sunday 10am - 5pm
The team will review your complaint and aim to be in touch within 3 days, but please bear in mind that over a weekend or bank holiday it may take longer to respond.
Contacting us about a refund?
You'll need to give us a call on 0800 328 1700 if you ordered online. If purchased in store, please call 0800 63 62 62 or speak with a colleague next time you're in store.
* denotes a required field